Mohawk has been synonymous with quality affordable carpeting in North America for more than 100 years.
Based in Georgia, Mohawk Industries manufactures and sells residential and commercial carpets, rugs and other flooring products in every price category.
Mohawk's family of carpet brands includes many of the best-known names: Aladdin, Alexander Smith, American Rug Craftsmen, Bigelow, Galaxy, Harbinger, Helios, Horizon, Karastan, World, Wunda Weve, Custom Weave and Mohawk.
Mohawk Industries has its roots in another era, when the four Shuttleworth brothers brought 14 used carpet looms from England to Amsterdam, N.Y., in 1878. That launched one of the biggest carpet empires in the world.
By the 1920s, Mohawk Carpet Mills Inc. was a leader in producing all four major types of carpet available at the time: Wilton, Axminster, Velvet and Chenille. They went on to introduce new textured and sculptured effects in the 1930s.
In 1956, Mohawk merged with Alexander Smith Inc. to form Mohasco Industries, the largest carpet manufacturer in the world.
In the years ahead, the new carpeting giant introduced some of the most renowned trends in the industry - including shag carpets in the 1970s and stain-resistant carpets in the 1980s.
Over the past decade, Mohawk launched a series of strategic acquisitions of other major manufacturers that would catapult it to the top of the flooring industry. As a result, it now offers some of the world's leading carpet brands, including:
- WundaWeve - a premium product aimed at the upper end of the residential carpet market. Known for its distinctive styling and luxurious constructions.
- Aladdin - Mohawk's value-priced line, popular in home offices and family rooms. Highly functional constructions using nylon, polyester and PET, which make for durable carpets for high-traffic areas.
- Galaxy - a range of unique carpets in widths up to 13'2". Most products use branded nylon and polyester fibers that combine function and style.
- Horizon - a product line covering most price categories, but known mostly for its bold colors and unique styles.
- World Carpets - a value-oriented line offering branded fibers with an emphasis on fashion and durability.